Thursday, November 7, 2013

Savings Abound!


Today's Post is from our deal-finding, coupon-cutting, money-saving friend, Stephanie. Look for her posts each Thursday.

I like a good deal. I love a great deal.  And FREE is even better.  Let me start by introducing myself.  I'm Stephanie, a stay-at-home mom to two young boys (one is 4, the other, 7 months), and wife to a wonderful husband. We are a single income family. With the never ending purchase of diapers, wipes, formula and a growing wardrobe (how fast does a kid grow, anyway?), money is tight. I also have Celiac Disease which necessitates the purchase of gluten free foods. Our already tight budget is now choking and gasping for air. 

So, a deal; a discount; a percentage off? Sign me up! I know so many are trying to stretch their dollars. And everyone loves a good deal. My hope is that this blog will save you time when you are looking to save money. 

So let's start with a couple of basic rules.
Rule #1: Know when a deal is a good fit for you. Discovering 75% off of a new pair of jeans is a great find! But if your closet already contains every color and style Levi Strauss has made in the last 10 years, this isn't really a deal for you. 
Rule #2: You have to have money to save money. I've had to pass up a lot of great finds because I had already spent my budgeted grocery money for the week. If you find a great bargain but don't have the money to buy it, what good does it do you? So start small. Maybe set aside $5 from each paycheck and label them your, “Deal Dollars”. Keep them with you (or easily accessible) for when you are shopping. For example, just tonight while doing the grocery shopping, I came across four toys that would be great for my son's Christmas stocking. Each item was marked 90% off. I was able to take advantage of that deal.  In so doing, I saved money on items that I would have purchased during my Christmas shopping.

Keeping these things in mind, next time, I would like to dive into the world of the store loyalty card; the two I use most frequently – Meijer Mperks and Kroger Plus. I'll break down some of the details of each so that you can see if they may be a good fit for you. I know many people already use store loyalty cards, but there are more benefits to using them than you may see on the surface!

Until then, keep your eyes open because savings abound!

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment